Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Going long, The Tamron 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)


I continue to shop for a "long" telephoto lens.

Of course, I want to "have my cake and eat it too".

My goal is to have a lens that works well for long distance capture of nature and wildlife subjects. I prefer a zoom over a "fixed prime" lens. I would like the lens as light and as compact as possible. Image stabilization is a consideration, but since the lens will only be used while mounted to a tripod, the feature is not as important as good image quality.
Finally, I do not want to "break the bank"!

The Tamron 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD seems to fill the bill.

This is a zoom lens that lets you bring your far away subjects up close while compressing the distance between the main subject and the background for professional looking results. Even while covering up to a 500mm that enables you to take ultra telephoto shots of subjects further than the eye can see, its design is extremely lightweight and compact. When mounted on an APS-C size digital SLR camera, it provides a focal length equivalent up to a 760mm for super ultra telephoto imaging.

Here are a few of the details on the glass....

Lens Construction (Groups/Elements) 10/13
Angle of View 12°-5°
Diaphragm Blade Number 9
Minimum Aperture F/32
Minimum Focus Distance 2.5m (98.4") (entire zoom range)
Macro Magnification Ratio 1:5.0
Filter Diameter ø86
Weight 1237g (43.6oz)
Diameter x Length ø3.7 x 8.9in.(ø93.5 x 227.0mm)
Accessory Lens hood, Detachable Filter Effect Control


I believe that this lens would be a great addition to my "kit"
I look forward to saving for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment