Sunday, October 24, 2010

What is film? The Nikon F80


Always looking for another way to express myself with a camera I started looking backwards a bit.

Years ago a owned a wonderful Pentax ME 35mm film camera. I took a lot of great photos with that camera. I loved the quality that the 28mm, 50mm, and 135mm lenses produced when using very fast slide film. I am sorry now that I ever sold that camera.

I have now gone "digital" and I am very satisfied with the results that my collection of digital cameras are able to produce. Since I have collected two DSLR's that use Nikon F-mount lenses I started thinking about the purchase of a film camera body that would work with the glass that I now own.

Now, a lot of time has passed since my Pentax ME was considered "modern". I was quite surprised to discover that much of the automation and features found on the new wave of digital camera have also been available for the last few years in the higher end film bodies.

One option was the Nikon F80 (N80 in the U.S.). The F80 is a consumer SLR. It has most of the features found in the higher end "pro" cameras but lacks the build quality (metal body) and weather sealing.

Here are some of the specs on the camera........

  • Cross-ranged, five-area autofocus system
  • Choice of 1) Dynamic AF, 2) Closest-subject-priority Dynamic AF and 3) Single Area AF
  • Focus Tracking with Lock-On™
  • Vari-Brite Focus Area display provides at-a-glance AF-area confirmation
  • Built-in AF-Assist Illuminator
  • 3D Matrix Metering (with D-/G-type Nikkor lens)
  • Center-Weighted Metering and Spot Metering
  • Four exposure modes ([P], [S], [A], [M])
  • Built-in Speedlight: guide number 12/39 (ISO 100, m/ft.); 28mm lens coverage
  • 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash capability
  • QD (F80D) and Data Imprint (F80S) versions
  • On-Demand Grid Lines can be displayed in viewfinder (with Custom setting #4)
  • Custom settings of 18 functions (19 functions with F80S)

I recently picked up a used Nikon F80 at a very good price. I love the feel of the camera and am very pleased at the results obtained using my fast Sigma prime lenses and both Tri-X 400 and ACROS 100 ASA films.

No comments:

Post a Comment