Sunday, October 24, 2010

Going wide for full frame. The Sigma 24mm f1.8


Recently I have been enjoying the two "prime" lenses that I now own.
The Sigma 30mm f1.4 and the Sigma 50mm f1.4 have really opened my eyes to the creative benefits of a "fast" prime.
Some folks see these lenses as restrictive and too "soft" for truly great photography.
I view this type of lens quite differently, enjoying the very shallow depth of field and the resultant "soft focus" that allows one eye to get lost in the photo.
If stepped down a bit, both of these lenses create the "razor sharp" images that only a good "prime" is capable of.

With my recent purchase of the Nikon F80 35mm film body I began my search for a lens that would compliment the Sigma 50mm f1.4 lens as a two lens kit for the camera. It would have been nice to use the Sigma 30mm f1.4 on the film camera but the this lens has too small of an image circle to be used on full frame digital or film cameras.
My son has had great results with the Sigma 24mm f1.8 on his digital cameras. I thought that this lens may just fill my needs for a wide angle on my new film body.

So my search was on for the Sigma 24mm f1.4 Macro.

Sigma’s 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro lens is a large aperture wide angle lens giving photographers freedom of expression with the ability to set the desired aperture and get as close as 7.1 inches allowing the photographer the juxtaposition between near and backgrounds in the distance. The 84º angle of view is perfect for landscape photos while also great for shooting group shots without distorting the subjects at the edge of the frame and compact enough for working in tight quarter with a single subject. This lens is perfect for photo journalists where it is essential to have a fast, wide angle lens, scenic, social and full-time professional photographers who are in need of a hardworking lens. Extremely compact within the category of super fast wide angle lenses and totally affordable for the professional as well as aspiring professional and student photographers!

I recently picked up a used one at a very good price.
I have really enjoyed this lens on both the Nikon F80 film body and on my digital cameras. It is very sharp, has a very fast f1.8 aperture and does surprisingly well with "close ups".

No comments:

Post a Comment